Monday 16 November 2009

Chapter 6 - Audience and different interpretations

Everything we watch or read is open to interpretation and most often an audience on watching a film will differ in their opinions and feelings about what they've seen. With each of the experimental videos we have viewed together in and alone outside of class, we have all come away with different reactions and interpretations of what we've watched.

When we watched MUTO, for example, some of the group were slightly confused by it and could not see a proper point to the video concept-wise. There wasn't a clear narrative to the piece which made the overall concept difficult to interpret. Some peope did not feel much enthusiasm for it as they found it rather creepy and weird; while others felt the film had a running theme of birth, re-birth and the recycling-cycle of life.

On watching the video myself I at first felt a bit puzzled by what I was watching and thought the wall art was rather weird but incredibly inventive. So much happens in MUTO within a short space of time that it took me a second viewing of the film on youtube to absorb what I had missed the first time and I had more of an idea about the film's meaning after watching it again. Because of this I think that MUTO is best watched for a second time because it actually has more to it than you may have first thought. I think with certain films or books it benefits the audience to watch/read the piece with an open mind and be prepared to look deeper in order to take away something from it. Sometimes I think the creators behind the film are intending his or hers audience to do so. This is why there is truth behind first impressions not always being correct and that it's better to reserve judgement on something until you've watched the whole piece.

I think something that the whole class agreed on was that we all were amazed by the graffiti art and impressed by the amount of dedication it took to make an entirely stop-frame piece with it. I also found myself finding appreciation for graffiti as art on watching MUTO that I had not had before. This in itself is an example of me being pre-dispositioned to not really liking graffiti but after watching MUTO changing my judgement.

1 comment:

  1. Do you feel that the different readings of the work are a product of a confused audience or if the work benefits from multiple readings?

    ReplyDelete